Fully Online Courses (e.g. all courses in the online programs; 100% online versions of courses such as PBH 500, PBH 506, PBH 508, PBH 511, PBH 518): Recommended course configuration is reflected in the template by default.
To complete course configuration, instructors should:
- Post a Day 1 Announcement.
- Personalize the course homepage.
- Configure Assignments.
- Add tests/quizzes.
- Confirm that course modules and their items are published/unpublished as needed.
- Optionally, customize display names of course components such as modules and their items, set due dates for assignments, and build grading rubrics in Canvas.
Classroom-based Courses [running 'virtually', with live webcasts of weekly lectures/presentations]:
- Day 1 Announcement.
- Homepage with photo, course description, and contact information (course description imported from GRAVITAS).
- Syllabus: Attached Word document (or import from GRAVITAS)
- 'Getting Started' Module
- Course Overview: [Explaining how the Canvas site will be used to support learning this term.]
- Course Resources: Attach course schedule, syllabus, reading list, supporting files.
- Optionally: Links to files in cloud storage location: TBD.
- Course Lesson modules, 1 - 12:
- Assignments (with dropboxes).
- Optionally: Links to recorded lectures/presentations.
- Optionally: Discussion forum(s).
- Optionally: Assessments/evaluations: [especially weekly 5-min. feedback survey (anonymous)].
- 'Getting Started' Module
- Discussion Forums:
- 'General Q&A' in 'Getting Started' Module.
- Optionally, 'Personal Introductions/Updates' in the 'Getting Started' Module.
- Optionally: one discussion forum per Course Lesson module.
- Inbox/'Conversations': Use Canvas messaging system via the 'Inbox' link to email individual students or an entire class.
- Optionally, enhance your Canvas messages by embedding audio or video.
- People: Holds class roster by default. Configure to create small groups.
- Blackboard Collaborate: Available by default for live web conferencing with your class.
- Grades: The course site's Gradebook is automatcally populated as gradable assignments and other gradable activites are configured and published in the Canvas modules.
- Course Evaluations: This link gives students/instructors access to questionnaires managed at end of term through our course evaluation administration tool, 'SmartEvals'.
Flipped/Hybrid/Blended Classrooms: does not apply for the time being, because courses will not be including a classroom component.
- Add Weekly Introduction page to each Course Lesson Module.
- Optionally, add prerecord lectures/presentations to provide asynchronous learning opportunities.